Steamcon Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct is to provide guidance to all Steamcon V convention members. It is to help ensure that the behavior of one individual does not adversely disturb the rest of the members. It applies to all pre-con, at con, and post-con activities that are related to Steamcon V. All members are encouraged to read this Code and ask questions of anything that they do not understand.
Steamcon V is prepared to deal with any violations of the code as legally, rapidly, and efficiently as possible. We hope that all members will help to make Steamcon V an enjoyable experience for all, by respecting the rights of all attendees while in attendance.
Steamcon V reserves the right to revoke membership and eject any individual at any time from Steamcon V. No refunds will be provided.
Failure to adhere to the code of conduct may result in:
- Mediation by the Con Chair and Convention Operations talking to all parties involved in an incident
- Verbal warnings
- Turning the individual in to hotel/convention center staff/security
- Revocation of membership and ejection from Steamcon V
- Contacting local law enforcement
BADGES: Steamcon V is a membership event and membership badges must be worn at all time by all members and staff. A badge is only valid for the individual to whom it was issued. Badges may not be shared. Steamcon V requires that all individuals age 3 and over have membership badges for the convention, and that they be clearly visible when at Steamcon V.
PERSONAL INTERACTION: We ask that you respect others so that everyone is comfortable and feels safe while attending Steamcon V.
- Harassment of others will not be tolerated and is a violation of the code of conduct.
- If someone asks you to leave them alone or tells you no, you walk away, and you do not approach them again. There is no reason for you to have any further interaction with them.
- Discrimination of any sort is not tolerated and is a violation of the code of conduct.
- Discrimination is not limited to gender, race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or physical/mental disability.
- If you feel that you have been harassed or discriminated against:
- Tell the individual that their behavior is inappropriate. Sometimes this is sufficient.
- If you do not feel comfortable talking with the individuals involved, or if talking to them once does not work, please immediately report the situation to any Steamcon V committee or staff member. If possible provide a badge name or name and a physical description of the person or persons involved. The committee or staff member will notify Convention Operations and/or the Con Chair.
- PLEASE: Keep in mind that unless an incident is reported, nothing can be done.
PUBLIC PARTIES: Specific party rules will be published separately and provided to all party hosts.
Only certain convention hotel rooms are available for parties and all parties must be coordinated with Steamcon V.
No one under 21 will be served alcohol. Hosts are required to card anyone who wishes to drink at their event. Attempting to drink while under 21 or knowingly serving alcohol to someone under 21 is a violation of the code of conduct, and could subject you to removal from Steamcon V.
HOTEL INTERACTIONS: We ask that you follow any and all rules set by the convention hotels.
The person whose name the room is rented is solely responsible for the conduct of all individuals in the room and the condition of the room. Excessive trash, any act of vandalism, deliberate or excessive damage to hotel room and its contents, or any negative interference with hotel staff that may present a hazard to said hotel staff will result in the hotel taking control of the situation.
Individuals, regardless of whose name the room is rented in, will be billed for said damages by the hotel. In addition, individuals may be evicted from the hotel and/or the convention and may also face criminal charges.
SMOKING: The City of Bellevue does not allow smoking in any public buildings, including hotels, restaurants, or the convention center.
PETS: Only service animals are allowed in hotel and convention function spaces.
- Steamcon V recognizes that weapons and weapon replicas are an integral part of the Steampunk look and aesthetic, and as such will be present at the convention. However, any weapon that is sufficiently realistic may cause issue with local law enforcement and Steamcon V reserves the right to request that you leave such a weapon in your room or off premises regardless of any permit for such weapon.
- All laws of the City of Bellevue, King County, and the state of Washington regarding weapons are in force while on convention property, and any violation of such is also a violation of the code of conduct resulting in immediate expulsion from the convention.
- Any weapon (actual, realistic or toy) that is brandished about or utilized in a threating or harmful manner is a violation of the code of conduct.
- The discharge of any projectile weapon outside of an approved demonstration or convention event is a violation of the code of conduct.
PRIVACY, PHOTOGRAPHY, AND ELECTRONIC RECORDING:
Steamcon V members should be aware that photographs, video and audio recordings occur during the convention, and that their likenesses may appear in these recordings. Attendees and members agree to assign without compensation the use of their likenesses for the use of promotion material.
Steamcon V welcomes members of the press to all events. All journalists, media photographers and any other members of the press are required to display an official Steamcon V Press Badge or be accompanied by a Steamcon V staff member at all times.
Members should be polite and ask before taking photographs or recordings of members and attendees whenever possible. Photography and audio/video recordings for personal archival use is generally acceptable, unless an individual makes it clear that they do not wish to be photographed or recorded, in which case it becomes expressly forbidden.
The usage of photographic or recording devices is prohibited in certain area of the convention including the Film Room, Art Show, and Art Auction. Where allowed, please take photographs before or after a program event to avoid distracting panelists and audience members to the maximum extent possible.
The offering for sale of any merchandise may only occur in designated areas with the permission of Steamcon V.
Steamcon V reserves the right to amend the code of conduct at any time without prior or posted notice and reserves the sole right of interpretation. The rules stated above are not all inclusive and involve worst-case scenarios.
Any action or behavior that is illegal, unsafe, or causes significant interference with convention operations, excessive discomfort to members, or adversely affects Steamcon V’s relationship with its guests, the venue, or the public is strictly forbidden.